Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Heart Screens for Teens


On Wednesday night, many Walker students will be going to the gymnasium to get their annual physical, and a small group, including myself, will be getting a heart screen.  At first it seems odd for teenagers to be getting a heart screen because heart problems are traditionally associated with older people.  I was very skeptical last year, but in actuality, every athlete should have his or her heart screened.

According to Heart Screens for Teens, 1 in 500 teenagers have Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM), a thickening of the heart muscle that makes it difficult to pump blood. HCM is the number one cause of sudden cardiac death in teenagers.  In addition, about 2,000 people under the age of 25 die from sudden cardiac arrest each year, and athletes are at 3 times a greater risk than others for an attack. As teenage athletes, we are more prone to not taking care of bodies and pushing ourselves further.

Being on the track team last year, my mom wanted to me to have a heart screening, and from my visit I learned that I have mitral valve prolapse, one of the more common congenital heart defects.  The program Walker offers is at a greatly lowered price with one heart screen being only $65, and it was worth every penny.  With so many athletes at Walker, I’m surprised more students do not take advantage of this opportunity.  It is a cheap price to pay to prevent any future problems and have a peaceful mind.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I had no idea that so many teenagers have issues with their hearts. I think it is really important for everyone to get their heart screened when they are older, but I have never considered the idea for younger people. Maybe, in addition to having a physical on file, Walker students should have to get their heart scanned too? It seems not only to be valuable, but informative too! With information on the health of a student's heart, coaches may be able to better train their athletes for competitions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea heart problems were so prominent! It makes me want to go get tested. I agree with you when you say that everyone should get tested. Instead of just making it optional, I think that Walker should make it mandatory for every one on the team get tested. Who knows, it could save someone's life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These statistics really shocked me!! I had no idea that many teenagers have been diagnosed with a heart defect and honestly it is extremely frightening. I have always been a part of sports and when you mentioned that teenage athletes are more prone, it really got me thinking about whether I should get this testing done. As Miranda and Tia have said, I definitely think Walker should make it mandatory for students to get a heart scan. Not only could you prevent future problems but it could benefit the athletic programs tremendously by making sure their athletes are healthy and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm 55-year-old from Korean, I was diagnosed with second-stage liver cancer following a scheduled examination to monitor liver cirrhosis. I had lost a lot of weight. A CT scan revealed three tumors; one in the center of my liver in damaged tissue and two in healthy portions of my liver. No chemotherapy or radiotherapy treatment was prescribed due to my age, the number of liver tumors. One month following my diagnosis I began taking 12 (350 point) Salvestrol supplements per day, commensurate with my body weight. This comprised six Salvestrol Shield (350 point) capsules and six Salvestrol Gold (350 point) capsules, spread through the day by taking two of each capsule after each main meal. This level of Salvestrol supplementation (4,000 points per day) was maintained for four months. In addition, I began a program of breathing exercises, chi exercises, meditation, stretching and stress avoidance. Due to the variety of conditions that I suffered from, I received ongoing medical examinations. Eleven months after commencing Salvestrol supplementation But all invalid so I keep searching for a herbal cure online that how I came across a testimony appreciating Dr Itua on how he cured her HIV/Herpes, I contacted him through email he listed above, Dr Itua sent me his herbal medicine for cancer to drink for two weeks to cure I paid him for the delivering then I received my herbal medicine and drank it for two weeks and I was cured until now I'm all clear of cancer, I will advise you to contact Dr Itua Herbal Center On Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. WhatsApps Number...+2348149277967. If you are suffering from Diseases listed below, Cancer, HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Bladder cancer,Brain cancer,Colon-Rectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Prostate Cancer,
    ?Esophageal cancer,?Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,?Hodgkin lymphoma
    ?Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,?Multiple myeloma,?Neuroendocrine tumors,Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,?Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,?Sinus cancer,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,?Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,?Vulvar cancer,Hepatitis, Chronic Illness. Lupus,Fibromyalgia.

    ReplyDelete